Using social media is easier than you think...
The popularity of social media is growing and it will continue to do so... for the foreseeable future anyway.
(Tell us something we don't know)
Businesses and companies of all shapes and sizes can benefit MASSIVELY from using social media and these few simple tips will make it easier for you to get to grips with, so lets get started...
Knowing your demographic and where to aim:
- Twitter is generally used by people that are under 50 with a higher education
- Women (as a rule) use Facebook than men! It is also the "go-to" choice for 60+ people
- Instagram users are mostly women and young adults ages 18-29
- Pinterest has mainly female users and popular with young adults
- Snapchat however is growing in all demographics, mainly due to fun filters etc. Snapchat is the surprise choice for clever marketing
Getting the most out of social media
Follow this golden rule and you have instantly increased productivity and streamlined your social media activity...
ONLY ONE ACCOUNT PER SOCIAL MEDIA SITE
Far too many companies are using multiple company email addresses to sign up for numerous accounts on one site in the hope that it creates more exposure. All they are doing is creating more and more work for themselves and getting muddled and twisted working out which page says what and when.
We say have the following:
1 x Facebook page (not profile, a proper business page... and at a push create a group too)
1 x Instagram
1 x Snapchat
and 1 x Twitter
All can be set up using the same email address and details, and we suggest having one smartphone dedicated to your business profile, social media etc. (Makes turning "work" off much easier)
Whats the point in using social media if you're not going to be sociable?
Share other peoples posts, 'Like' their pictures and follow everyone you can (don't be weird about it). If you're being actively sociable; it will have a knock-on affect and you will be surprised how quickly people will share, like and follow you. You might even enjoy it!
Look how great we are... share how great we are
Ok, yes you want people to share your products and like your special offers (otherwise what's the point?)
But, come on... lighten up! Share an interesting anecdote or a funny cat video or two, it won't kill you and people actually share that kind of thing. Line up the dominoes and someone will give that first one a flick. Failure to follow this tip will result in bored audiences and you'll lose points.
ALWAYS BE PROFESSIONAL
This SHOULD be a given but, you'd be amazed how this one slips. Pay attention now.
- DO NOT SWEAR
- DO NOT POST A VIDEO BLOG THAT CONTAINS SWEARING
- DO NOT SHARE CONTENT THAT CONTAINS ANYTHING THAT ISN'T FAMILY FRIENDLY
- ENSURE YOU ACT AND SPEAK AS YOU WOULD DIRECTLY TO CUSTOMERS
- NEVER EVER EVER EVER BAD MOUTH A COMPETITOR OR RIVAL COMPANY (That is just bad form)
Before we go...
You don't need to be a social media expert and you don't need to constantly bombard people with how great your company/ product is... make sure you are entertaining or at least a bit interesting. Follow our simple steps and you will notice the increase in activity on your social media accounts.
Oh and Snapchat... did you know you can create and submit your own frames? If they are interesting enough, Snapchat will consider them. Make them relevant to the area you work from!